Please note that from 1 December 2016 until further notice we are temporarily unable to accept new submissions as our publishing schedule for the next year is already full. Please watch this space for further announcements.
If you’re an aspiring or established author with fiction you’d like to submit, we’d be delighted to hear from you. Please read through this page first, so you can decide if you and Manifold Press will be a good match.
What we’re looking for
We’re interested in:
- Romance and general fiction featuring LGBTQIA characters. While gay fiction and male-male romance remains very popular, we’re also interested in and want to support the full spectrum.
- Contemporary and historical settings, but also alternate versions of those settings, as well as supernatural and futuristic stories.
- A strong focus on character and story. We do love a good mystery or adventure plot, though the characters will always be the key element.
- Sex scenes (if any) that suit the style of the story, and that serve the character or plot development.
- A word count of 45,000-70,000 is ideal for the long form. However, we’re happy to consider shorter or longer works, as well as single-author anthologies with a similar total and a unifying theme. At present we publish two long-form works every three months, although we are hoping to increase this number.
- Our Espresso Shots imprint is designed for shorter works of at least 15,000 words – but ideally between 18,000 and 41,000 words (based on the Rainbow Awards’ definition of a novella). The publishing schedule for these works will be more informal than for our ‘regular’ works.
- Our New Adult imprint features main characters who are between 18 and 30 years old, with the story told from their point of view as they emerge into adulthood. See our blog post for more thoughts on this category!
- The Press will also, on a semi-annual basis, put out a call for themed short stories to fill an anthology. Details can be found under Current Projects.
What we offer
Manifold Press is a small, ’boutique’ publisher, well placed to offer authors a great deal.
- We love working with talent. If you’re already an established author, we’ll respect and enjoy what you bring to the table. If you’re new to writing or professional publishing, we’d love to help you develop your skills.
- Over the years, we have established a reputation for quality titles. You and your work will benefit from a thorough editing and proofreading process.
- We believe the spelling, grammar, word usage and so on should be consistent with the setting or the POV character. Ideally, a story set in the UK will feel British, a story with a North American protagonist will sound North American, and so on.
- We offer authors one flat rate of 40% royalties across all distribution platforms. Royalties are paid quarterly.
- We are a friendly and professional team, keen to form mutually beneficial partnerships with our authors and other team members.
Please consider the following before sending your submission.
- Our core business is publishing eBooks in a global market, and we will seek worldwide electronic rights from you. However, we also offer a licensing agreement to authors who wish to publish in paperback format.
- You’ll receive a contract for each piece of work we accept. The standard contract assigns your copyright in the work to us for two years from the date of publication, with an option to renew every second year thereafter.
- We will work to promote your book, but we believe the best results come from authors sharing the responsibility with publishers for marketing and promotion. Readers are interested in books, authors and publishers – in roughly that order!
Content that will not suit the Press:
- We are not interested in submissions that feature BDSM, scat, golden showers, bloodplay, necrophilia, bestiality, incest of any description, sex with or between under-age participants, domestic/partner violence, or condonation of rape or homophobia.
- For our purposes, the age of consent will be 18.
- Exceptions to the above will be made if these subjects are part of the background to, say, a criminal investigation. This is not an indication of disapproval. It’s just that we feel there’s plenty of room in the market for gentler and less explicit fiction, and that’s where our main area of interest lies.
What we need from you
If you think we’re a good match for you and your work, then we’d love to hear from you!
- Please send us a synopsis of the full story, and an extract consisting of approximately 2000 words.
- In your covering message, tell us the current state of your story, the final or likely word count, and how you would describe the genre or audience. We’d also love to know something about you.
- Email to Fiona Pickles email@example.com
- As a guideline, we’d appreciate receiving your work in a professionally word-processed document, using a 12-point serif font, with double-spaced lines. Whatever the details, however, make sure your manuscript is as ‘clean’ as possible. We won’t only be considering the content, but also how much work we’ll need to put into editing, proofing and formatting.
What happens next
We’re as interested as you are in a quick response to submissions!
- Fiona Pickles or Julie Bozza will be in touch with you. All being well, we will acknowledge your submission – but, importantly, we undertake to either decline or ask for the full manuscript within one week.
- Once you have sent us the full manuscript, we undertake to consider it within two or three weeks of receipt.
Visit the next page Working with the Press for more information on what happens next.