The world’s mine oyster
Which I with sword will open.
The Merry Wives of Windsor, Act 2 Scene 2
For our next anthology project, Manifold Press is looking for short fiction inspired by the vast and varied output of William Shakespeare – the plays, the sonnets, and even the ‘lost’ or disputed works – featuring LGBTQIA people as the main characters.
Want to tell us about the love lives of Hamlet and Horatio, Viola and Olivia, Antonio and Sebastian, Achilles and Patroclus? We want to read it! How about Kent’s devotion to Lear, Iago’s to Othello, Mercutio’s to Romeo, Nerissa’s to Portia? Turn the stories inside-out and show us how they could (or should) have ended! Gender-bend any character(s) you choose, mix them up in combinations of two or more, let your imagination run amuck!
And what about the unknown actors who’ve played these roles over the years, the directors who’ve supported them, the scholars and students who’ve given their lives to the study of Shakespeare? We’d love to see something of them, too, whether they’re academics or Hollywood stars, am-dram enthusiasts or soldiers reading sonnets in their dugouts. Set your story in Verona, Elsinore, Glasgow, New York, or even in the depths of space, and we’ll be with you all the way – in short, to coin a phrase, if music be the food of love, play on!
- Editor: Fiona Pickles
- All stories need to stand alone, whether or not they relate to any existing work.
- Sexual encounters are welcome, and can be explicit, but we love a focus on character and story.
- Story length: Between 3,000 and 10,000 words.
- Authors will be paid a flat fee based on the final word count of their contribution.
- Submission deadline: 31 October 2017
- Planned publication date: 1 May 2018
- Enquiries and submissions to: email@example.com
- Click here for a PDF version of this page.
- Unlike some of our previous anthologies, this is not a charity project.
- Characters should be adults, and for our purposes Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare!